Monday, October 31, 2011 |

30 Day Challenge - Day #24 A letter to My Parents

    
     You know some of these topics are really deep! A letter to my parents, can that even be done without taking up the entire blog page? I'm not really sure, but I'm going to give this a try.

Dear Mom and Dad,

     Where do I start in order to thank you for all of the things that you have in my life. I know you admit that you weren't the perfect parents, and what child doesn't have emotional scares from things that would have them spending thousands on a couch talking to a shrink, but honestly I know that I didn't have it bad at all and I know you did the best you knew how, and that's all that really matters, right?
     To my Dad, I know you always haven't been proud of me and have rarely ever agreed with what I do, or how I live my life. I know that you spent so much time away from home building a life for us and keeping a roof over our head, and working to provide us with all the little extras. For that I am humbly grateful for the hard work that you have endured over these long years. The time spent driving back and forth, the times you missed school plays, or functions or birthdays all appreciated because I know that I was always well cared for. I do know that because of all of that time away, you have rarely understood me. Seems since I turned 13, you really haven't been able to figure out a way to really relate to me, but that's alright. We can always agree to disagree and I know that you love me with all your heart just by the little things you do, not always by what you say.
     To my Mom, my life coach, my friend, sometimes my worst enemy, you have never failed to be there when I have needed you. Whether right or wrong, up or down, you have been the glue that holds me together. You are always my strongest supporter and always my biggest critic and love you or hate you at times, I can't deny that you have never left my side! You have always brought joy into my life with all the little extra things you do. Everyday is a new day full of surprises and smiles. From cards, to little treats, to outings and happy moments making popcorn, sodas and movie night you always have tried to fill my life with such beauty and happiness. I know it's not always easy running from one end of my tightrope to the other waiting for me to fall so you can catch me and I know you have to be just completely exhausted after 38 years! I know sometimes it's hard for you to separate that I'm a big girl now and that while I still love my safety net, you need to learn to let go. You have wanted so much for me and with that wanting have given me so very much. I thank God everyday for you and for the fact that you haven't been keeping a running tab all these years because I am indebted to you forever! I'm not sure that I could ever re-pay you for all the things that you have done, except to be here when you need me to catch you.
     Again, I'm not sure I have the words to express what you two mean to me. You have provided a loving and joyful home for me to grow up in, and you continue to bring me joy as an adult. I may not always like what you have to say, but I respect your opinions. I can't imagine what my life would have been like if you had not been my Mom and Dad. I can say that it wouldn't have been the same, and it wouldn't have been as good. Your two are the best and I love you so very much!

Holly

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...